Windows 10 IoT Core is a slimmed down version of Windows 10 for embedded and IoT devices. IoT Core runs on Raspberry Pi and similar devices. In this article, we'll install IoT Core for Raspberry Pi.
- Windows 10 PC with admin privileges
- Raspberry Pi 3
- 8GB or larger Class 10 Micro SD card
- IoT Dashboard application (Install from this link)
- Internet connection
There are few ways to install Windows 10 IoT Core. The easiest way is using IoT Dashboard. This application downloads, installs, and configures IoT Core image.
To Install IoT Core,
- Install the IoT Dashboard application.
- Insert Micro SD card to your computer.
- Run the IoT Dashboard application.
- Select "Set up a new device" from the left menu.
- Select "Broadcomm Raspberry Pi" from the device type.
- Select the latest build from the OS Build list.
- Select Micro SD Card you inserted from the Drive list.
- Give your device a name and password.
- If your PC has a 2.4GHz WiFi profile, select the one you wish Raspberry Pi to connect automatically.
- Click "Download and install."
At this moment, IoT Dashboard downloads Windows 10 IoT Core image, prepares it, formats SD card and installs the Windows. When the installation finishes, eject the card from your PC and put it into the Raspberry Pi. When you power your Raspberry Pi, you'll see your device in the My devices list.
Right-clicking the device displays an actions menu. Click "Open in Device Portal" to start exploring Windows 10 IoT Core's settings. The user name is "Administrator."
Please note, if your password does not work, try "Administrator" as user name and "p@ssw0rd" as the password.